Saturday, January 11, 2014

Happy Birthday Dad!!

Today my dad turns 71!  He is the greatest man I know!
Here are a few reasons why my dad is the best!

#1
He can build just about anything.  He has built shelves, tables, chairs, dressers, night stands, used to make pie boxes and decorative carousel horses.  I'm pretty sure he has built more.  There are many pieces of furniture that I have had in my house that are made by him.  They are solid and will last for a long time!  He is talented!


#2
He is one of the hardest working men I know.  Even as a semi-retired pastor, he runs and runs and takes care and answers the calls of the people in the church. 


#3
He never missed a dance recital, game where we were cheering, softball game, etc.  He was always there for us.  He may have hung out in the lobby until it was time for us to dance, be he was there.  He also danced in the recital with my sister and then with me.


#4
He loves his grand kids so much!!  The picture above is from Thatcher's 2nd birthday party and I can remember going over to mom and dad's house a week before we were going to the party and he had his boots and hat set out.  He was ready!


#5
I got my amazing driving skills from him!!  I don't know how he didn't throw me out of the car some days, but he put up with my fits and screaming and crying while trying to learn how to drive a stick shift.  I was also very bratty about having to learn, but he always told me it was good to know in case of emergencies.  No emergencies have come up yet, but at least I know how to drive a stick shift!


#6
He always wanted and still wants the best for my sister and me.  He has done and still does his best to teach us basic skills we need.  How to check the oil, how to change a tire, how to get rid of a stuffy nose.  Random things, but things that are important.  Both dad and mom have always provided our needs and we may have wanted things, but we never went without the basics.


#7
He walked me down the aisle and then performed the wedding ceremony with Lou's grandpa.
I couldn't have imagined anyone else in that role.
 

#8
When my mom was sick in the hospital, he never left her side.  Growing up I barely saw my dad cry and when I did it was odd, but to truly see how much he loves my mom was something that will never leave me.  He went every single day to see her and drover her to therapy and then to her radiation treatments every single day.  He also drove her to work until she could drive herself.


#9
He was a tough love dad, but looking back it was the best thing for me.  He loved us more than anything, but didn't kept us humble and gave us hearts for serving.  Not sure if he knows that, but now he does :)


#10
He has touched so many lives in his life, that I can only dream to be like him.  He has been there for so many people and has done so much for others.  He is truly a man of God!


Love you dad!! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh tears tears tears streaming down my face. This is beautiful Liz!! You have amazing parents and I love them both too. He is a very special man who has been there for our family countless of times. Jett just adores him. Hope he has had a extra special day........Amy Murphy

    ReplyDelete