Saturday, July 5, 2014

4th of July Recap

I must say that this 4th of July had to be one of the best.  I had the day off, and even though Lou had to work, it was a good recharge day for me.  I did some laundry, ran to the grocery store, and had the hair brained idea that I was going to bake my grandma's strawberry cake.  

This cake is amazing.  I can remember almost every time we would go to Mississippi that there would be a strawberry cake sitting on the hutch in the glass cake stand.  I had her tell me her recipe so I could make it at home.  I made it a few times and it turned out great!  The last time I attempted to make it was on Thanksgiving in 2005.  I did everything perfect and it collapsed in the middle.  But with all of the icing mixed with cake, my sister and I enjoyed it while riding in the car to see my grandma.  

I searched for my recipe and called mom and finally messaged my aunt Peggy, who informed me it was her recipe first and grandma started making it after that.  Well I had know idea my aunt could bake, (being honest Aunt Peggy), and I have to say that it is sooooo good.  But it will still be grandma's strawberry cake to me. 
Lou had called and asked me to go and grab a few extra things for the night at the store, so I decided I wanted to bake the cake to take to my parents.  It would have been my grandfather's 100th birthday and I thought that would be a great way to celebrate.  I had to get out of the checkout line once because I forgot something and then while I was putting my stuff on the belt, I realized I forgot hotdog buns and the lady behind me ran to grab me some!  I will repay the favor!

So I get home and I am all ready to bake the cake!!
So I put it in to bake, test it after 30 minutes, put it in for a few more....
Take it out of the oven and let them cool....
and...
 Yep, this happened.
But when I put the picture on facebook, I got lots of ways to make it work!!
I had already made a huge bowl of homemade icing and did not want to waste it, so I crumbled up the pieces into a bowl and drizzled icing over it and did that in layers.
It was delicious!

Lou came home and started up the grill with hamburgers and hotdogs...
 We then loaded up the car with the food and fireworks and headed to my parents house.  We can't shoot fireworks in my neighborhood, but of course people like to break the rules, but we don't and just go somewhere else.  Plus my parents neighborhood is not very big and there is hardly any traffic so it's perfect for fireworks.

Mom had pasta salad, corn on the cob, baked beans, and chips, and we brought the rest!  It was a great meal!!  
Here is our traditional holiday "we can't take a serious picture" picture.  

 Jake with a sparkler...

Lou and Jake
My sparkler.

Lou always buys awesome fireworks and this year did not disappoint.  Plus my parents neighbors were shooting theirs and so it was a back and forth type thing.  


Just one of the many awesome displays.  Who needs Nashville when you've got Eagleville fireworks!!  

Just thankful for a great day and a great family to spend it with.

Happy Birthday America!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment